Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Visits to the Nutrition Center

Ten days ago, I wrote a post about R., one of our new baby home kids who had just been admitted to the Nutrition Center. Click here if you'd like to read that first!

R. has been at the Nutrition Center since February 14th (11 days). I've been visiting her every day, and she appears to be doing really well. She is very happy there, she runs and plays (and fights!) with all the other kids, and she eats whatever she is given. At first, it seemed like all of her food was pureed so she didn't have to chew anything. Because we weren't sure how long she'd be there, it concerned me a bit because I knew that when she was discharged and back at home with us, she would have to chew her food and we don't puree it (except for the babies at times). However, her real meals (lunch and dinner… maybe breakfast too but I've never been there that early) are regular food that she has to chew. She's also given bread sometimes in the morning so she chews that as well. So, actually having to chew her food isn't going to be a problem when she's back with us.

I'm enjoying the time I get to spend with her. The Nutrition Center isn't close to any of our homes and going there and back can easily take up half of the day. I've learned how to time my visits for when she's in a good mood. As she isn't made to nap, she is very cranky sometimes!

At two years old, she's definitely on the older side of the group of kids at the Nutrition Center. I would guess that most of the kids are a year old or younger. I've had fun getting to know some of the other kids, too! Although most days R. doesn't seem to care that I'm there to see her, it's a whole other story if I try to talk to or play with another child!

It's been hard to get a lot of information about her progress, but today I was able to speak with someone about how she's doing. For various reasons, we would like to bring her home. However, they want her to stay a minimum of 50 days. We'll be talking with them again next week to see if we can come to some sort of compromise and bring her home early. I'll keep you updated!

These pictures are all out of order, but they do show some of the fun we have!













No comments: