Thursday, August 29, 2013

Culinary School

One of our babies turns one tomorrow, so of course we're planning a big birthday celebration for her! This morning, Tía Silvia (our baby home chef) informed me that this afternoon, she and I would be making the cake. Apparently it is some sort of traditional birthday cake, and she said I need to learn how to bake from scratch because I spend too much money on boxed cake mixes. 

After the kids went down for a nap, we got to work. Well, the tías got to work. I mainly watched the cake-baking part. The bottom layer was a chocolate cake and came out perfect! The top layer was a vanilla cake and was a bit of a disaster. As Tía Silvia was trying to take it out of the pan, it completely fell apart. I was then told I was in charge of "fixing the disaster" with decorations! 

It was a fun afternoon with the tías, and now that the cake is finished, we're ready to celebrate!

I'm not sure how many times a day I see this face from Tía Lucy! 

How many tías does it take to decorate a cake?!

Tía Silvia and our finished cake... She's very particular about the upkeep of the kitchen, so I was impressed that she let us make such a mess!

No comments: