Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cochabamba, Bolivia

I haven't shared about this trip with too many people. It's been a trip I've wanted to take for several years now, and it's come together kind of quickly. I'll be leaving on Tuesday, May 28th and returning home on Saturday, August 3rd.

I'll be spending the next two months living in Cochabamba, Bolivia. According to Wikipedia, the population of the city is about 700,000 people and the population of the metropolitan area is more than 1,000,000 people. I'll be living and working at Casa de Amor (House of Love), a series of four children's homes.

Casa de Amor 1 is considered the "baby home." There are currently 16 babies living there. Casa de Amor 2 is the "boys' home." Eight boys live there right now, ages range from around 4-10 years old. Casa de Amor 3 is the "girls' home," housing 7 girls, ages 4-10 years old. Casa de Amor 4 is family-run by the Booher family from Oregon. They have 6 children. You can follow them at www.boohersinbolivia.blogspot.com.

As of right now, I'm not sure which house will be considered "home" for me. I'm hoping to live at the girls' house!

If you want to learn more about Casa de Amor, their website is www.casadeamor.org

Jennifer, the founder and director, keeps a blog (www.hogardeamor.blogspot.com) that you might want to read! I actually found out about Casa de Amor through her blog about 4 years ago. 

There is also a blog about the volunteers at Casa de Amor (www.hogardeamorvolunteers.blogspot.com), although it is not updated as frequently. As far as I know, there will be two other volunteers at Casa de Amor while I'm there. I'm excited to meet both of them!

No comments: